Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
6 strips of thick-cut bacon
2 tbs butter
1 pound of brussels sprouts, halved
1 chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Once cooked, remove from the pan and chop.
2. Add butter to the bacon grease and melt.
3. Add onions and brussels sprouts and cook 8-10 minutes, until brussels sprouts are browned. Stir frequently so the onion does not burn.
4. Season with salt and pepper and add bacon. Stir and serve hot.
Mexican Green Bean Salad Recipe
Print OptionsPrint (no photos)Print (with photos)
Make sure to use the freshest green beans you can find. Good green beans should feel firm and should snap in half, not bend, when you try to bend them.
1 lb fresh green beans, strings removed, ends snapped off, cut in half into about 1 1/2 inch length pieces
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice or white vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can get it)
3/4 cup packed, chopped cilantro
1/3 cup canned, pickled jalapeño chili peppers, sliced
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (salty Mexican cheese that resembles feta)
1/2 avocado, sliced or cut into inch long pieces
1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges, or a cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1 Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until just crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and run cold water over them to cool them quickly. Drain completely.
2 Place beans in a large bowl. Gently mix in the the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, 1/4 cup onion, sliced pickled jalapeños, sea salt, oregano and cilantro. Let sit for half an hour.
3 When ready to serve, gently mix in the chopped red onion and cotija cheese. Serve the avocado slices and tomato wedges on the side or mixed into the salad.
You can personalize this dish as much as you want. I make it pretty regularly as it is one of my husbands favorites but I use different veggies along with the zucchini and onions (Those are always part of the recipe!)
Cook time: 20 Min Difficulty: EASY
Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 6
– 1/2 c butter or olive oil
– 2 sliced zucchini
– 1 chopped onion
– 2 cut up baked potatoes – 1/4 c mushrooms
– 1 red pepper chopped
– 1 tsp garlic salt
1. Melt butter in a frying pan.
2. Add all ingredients and cover. Stir occasionally.
3. This is good if the veggies are al dente or it is also good with them cooked soft.