Mondo Beyondo New York Style Pizza
1 1/2 cups warm water (105F)
4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons of oil
2 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of yeast
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in water.
2. Add oil and flour and stir with heavy spoon for 1 minute.
3. Turn out to a lightly floured surface and press into a circle.
4. Sprinkle yeast evenly over dough and knead for 12 minutes.
5. Roll into a ball. You want a dough ball without visible seams except the bottom.
6. Place dough ball in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise for 1−2 hours at room temperature to use the same day, or store in refrigerator to use the next day.
7. Place dough ball on lightly floured surface, and lightly flour the top. Use fingertips to evenly flatten out the dough ball. Work from the edges to the center press dough into a 12″ circle. Place both hands within the shell edge and stretch with fingertips and palms maintaining an even pressure. Or, use a lightly floured rolling pin to stretch to desired shape.
8. Top your pizza. I used a can of spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, onion, mushroom, browned italian sausage, lots of mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.
9. After topping the pizza, when you are ready to cook it. Carefully slide the pizza into the oven.
10. Bake in a 500 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden.
Cooking pizzas with this dough should be done on a baking stone. Using a pan will produce a very soft “doughy” crust. The stone in the oven should be preheated to 500F for an hour prior to baking, and should be placed in the middle of the oven.