2 cup(s) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1 teaspoon(s) salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
1 cup(s) sour cream
1/2 cup(s) canola oil
1 teaspoon(s) white vinegar
1 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup(s) raspberry jam, strained and seeds discarded
1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 8-inch-round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Combine flour, cocoa, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream, oil, vinegar (for leavening and a more tender cake), and 1 cup hot water and mix with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a wooden skewer, inserted into cake center, comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 20 minutes; release from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat butter and jam together using an electric mixer set on medium speed until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Spread filling between 2 cake layers and frost.
This flavorful ground beef casserole contains peppers, corn, tomatoes, and a cornbread topping.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes, slightly drained, about 2 1/2 cups broken up
- 1 can (12 ounces) whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
Heat olive oil in skillet; brown ground chuck. Add onion, garlic, and green pepper to the skillet; cook, stirring, until onion is tender and golden. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal mixed with the 1 cup water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, corn, salt, chili powder, and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes longer. Add olives; spoon into a 3-quart casserole. In a saucepan, heat milk with 1 teaspoon salt and butter; slowly stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal; cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and eggs. Pour over meat mixture.
Bake at 375° for 30 to 40 minutes. Or, prepare casserole early in the day and refrigerate for several hours. Bake chilled casserole for about 1 hour, or until hot and bubbly.