Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 ounces chopped green chilies, canned, drained (hot or mild, depending on preference)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
30 ounces diced tomatoes, canned, including juice
1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cumin
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 avocado, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
- Place chicken in Crock-Pot.
- In a separate bowl, combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, ½ c chicken broth and cumin. Blend and pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours. When chicken is tender, use the tines of 2 forks to shred. Adjust seasoning and add additional chicken broth if necessary.
- Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to slow cooker. Stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve in soup bowls, topping each with shredded cheese, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime.